OUR COMMUNITY

The Viral Group Blog The Viral Group Blog
Khabib happy to retire after a successful career

Khabib Retires: 29-0 Undefeated & Undisputed

This weekend on UFC Fight Island the MMA community witnessed Khabib Nurmagomedov fight for the final time.

After 29 wins and no loses, the dominant UFC lightweight champion hung up his gloves and stepped away from the octagon.

Khabib put a final stamp on his career and left no doubt in his second-round win over Justin Gaejthe. After a back and forth battle in the first round, Khabib shot in with one of his classic double leg take downs, secured a dominate mount position and locked in an impressive triangle choke. Gaethje tapped, the ref didn’t see and he was put to sleep. No need for the judge’s score cards!

An emotional Khabib took to the mic after his 29th victory to announce his retirement and explained that the recent death of his father was the reason he will not continue his fighting career. Saying in his post-fight interview:

“No way I’m going to come here without my father. When the UFC called about Justin I spoke with my mother for three days. She didn’t want me to fight without father and I said this is my last fight – and I have given her my word.”

While growing up in the rugged hills of Dagestan, Khabib’s father was his lifelong martial arts mentor and showed him the way towards the bright lights of a professional fighting career. Just as his father’s life was spent introducing Khabib to the world of MMA, his death signalled his exit. Saying on social media:

“Thanks father for everything, you teach all my life.”

UFC president Dana White revealed in the post-fight press conference that Khabib’s win over Justin was made even more impressive because he had competed with a broken foot. He went on to say that Khabib now has to be considered one of the greatest of all time. Saying:

“With what this guys been through, we’re all lucky that we got to see him fight tonight.”

“Apparently he was in hospital, he broke his foot three weeks ago. So he has two broken toes and a bone in his foot.”

“He is one of the toughest human beings on the planet. He is just the number one pound for pound fighter in the world. And seriously, I have to start putting him up there at G.O.A.T (greatest of all time) status.”

A Legend Leaves The Sport

At 32 years old, Khabib leaves the UFC with an impressive undefeated fight record over some of the biggest and best names in the sport.

Not only is he undefeated, but in 60 rounds of fighting he has only ever lost two rounds on the judge’s score cards. The first to Conor McGregor and the second to Justin Gaethje, but both fights he went on to win by submission.

His departure from the sport leaves the UFC’s lightweight division wide open. With the likes of Conor McGregor, Tony Fergusson, Dustin Poirier and recent signing Michael Chandler, there are exciting times ahead to determine the new UFC lightweight champion.

To view more of our interesting, funny and local articles – click here.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We ethically empower content creators to connect with communities and bring joy through relatable content. We are an eco-system where creativity and positivity thrives.